The factory was founded by M.S.
Kuznetsov in 1887 in the village of Budy of Kharkov district of Kharkov province on the place of distillery,
which belonged to the rural landowner Kotlyar. It was nationalized after 1917.
Production of faience articles was restarted in 1920-1921 (up to this time the
factory was not working). The factory was a part of the All-Ukrainian
Porcelain-Faience-Glass Trust. It was destroyed during the years of World War
II; production was restored by 1953. Since the 1950s it has been producing plates
and dishes of mass demand.
The factory was founded in 1832 in
Dulevo of Pokrovskiy district of Vladimir province (since 1937 Likino-Dulevo of
Orekhovo -Zuevo district of Moscow region) by peasant T.Y. Kuznetsov. Since
1889 was owned by the association of M.S. Kuznetsov. It was nationalized and
reconstructed after the revolution. In 1924 it was given the name of newspaper
Pravda. In 1934 the laboratory was organized attached to the factory. At
present porcelain table and tea dishes and sculpture are still manufactured
The factory was founded in 1832 in
the waste lands of Dulevo of Pokrovskiy district of Vladimir province (since
1937 Likino-Dulevo of Orekhovo -Zuevo dostrict of Moscow region) by peasant T.Y. Kuznetsov. Since 1889 was owned by the
association of M.S. Kuznetsov. It was nationalized and reconstructed after
revolution. In 1924 it was given the name of newspaper Pravda. In 1934 the
laboratory was organized attached to the factory. At present porcelain table
and tea dishes and sculpture are manufactured there.
Click on the factory name below to see the description of the factory
Founded 1991. Scitalis Porcelain
Aon the mouth of the Volga river at
the border of the CaspicSea
Founded 1805. Real name is "
Baranivka Porcelain Factory named after Lenin"
City of Kharkov
Budyanskiy Faience Factory
"Sickle and Hammer".
Chudova - Gruzino district in the Novgorod region
Founded in 1900. Real name is Krasniy
Farforist (Red Porcelain Maker)
Founded 1971. Real name is " The
Druzhkovka Porcelain Factory named after (in honour of) 50 years of the
Dulevskiy Porcelain Factory (Duleyvo,
Verbilki at Moscow
The Gardner porcelain factory is named after the Englishman, Francis Gardner,
who arrived to Russia in 1746 with the business plan to manufacture porcelain.
The place where he chose to open the
factory was a small town Verbilky at Moscow suburbs. At 1723 Peter the Great,
the Russian Czar issued a decree to support porcelain manufactures in Russia. A permission was required to open a factorye and that
permission was issued to Gardner at 1766
only. But Gardner did not wait for that permission and begun producing
porcelain before that date. Thus, in order not to be noticed, Gardner used the logo of Meissen porcelain.
This was not a big lie, because Meissen masters was
working for Gardner.
Once the permission was issued, Gardner decided to launch advertisements. The best one at that time was that Czar
court used the manufactured items. Thus he gave a present to the Russian Czar -
at that time it was Katherine II, and next - she ordered more porcelain from Gardner. That was the start of really successful manufacturing.
AS before the permission was issued, Gardner continued with Meissen copies. But
time after time the arts changed and items became more Russian than they were
at the beginning. Russian fairy tales, Russian motives are well noticed on Gardner items. As well as Meissen roots.
But nusiness was not too successful
and competitors appeared. At 1891 the factory was sold to the Russian
businessman, M. C. Kuznetsov.
Kuznetsov's policy was to produce
porcelain for the masses and the factory begun to produce items for everyday
use. Kuznetsov continued to place Gardner logo on the
itmes, despite the change of ownership.
And nowadays, elite hand-made items
produced at Verbilki has that old Gardner logo.
Founded 1807. Real name is " The
Gorodnitsa Porcelain Factory named after Komentern"
Gorodnitskiy Porcelain Factory named
after Comintern (Gorobnica, Gorodnitsa, Gorodnitsa Porcelain Factory) .
The factory was founded in 1807 in
the settlement of Gorodnitsa of Novogradvolynskiy district of Volyn province as
the daughter enterprise of Koretskaya textile mill. In 1814 it was passed to
Prince Heinrich Lyubomirskiy. In 1856 the factory was acquired by V.
Rulikovskiy. At the end 1870 the fire took place, and the factory was sold to a
land bank. Further it was owned by R. Bosse, and S. Gizhitskiy, who granted it
on lease to merchants, the Zusmans. The factory did not work after 1917. It was
restored in 1923. In recent years it was reconstructed and reorganized into the
Gzhel is the name of one of the major
porcelains centres of Russia. Down the years, the potters of Gzhel have maintained their unique
traditional style. From one generation to another, they handed down their
skills. This handmade and hand painted blue and white or multicolor Russian
china was first mentioned in the 14th century, and is now produced in an area
about 50 kilometers from Moscow.
Gzhel is a name of the small city
near Moscow, there this world-famous handicraft was born. Also it is the
name for artistic ceramics painted with cobalt on a white background. The
origin of this name is connected with the verb zhech - "to fire, to
burn". The place has always been the center of folk pottery and has played
an important role in the history and development of Russian ceramic arts. The
history of Gzhel began with majolica of the 18th century, which was followed in
the 19th century by half-faience, porcelain and thinly wrought faience. It took
Gzhel only about fifty years to take up all principal types of earthenware.
Imperial Porcelain Private Factory
Founded in 1886
Khrapunov - Noviy Porcelain Factory
Seen porcelain from 1850 - 1930 so far
Closed down as porcelain factory
spring 2006. All moulds for figures was destroyed. The factory was sold to a
South Korean electronic company producsing televisions etc.
Founded in 1972. The Kirovabad
Porcelain Factory commemorating 50 years of Soviet Azerbaijan
Pesochnya of Zhidrinskiy district of
Pesochenskaya Faience Factory
(Kirovskiy Faience Factory).
The factory was founded in 1851 in
the village of Pesochnya (since 1936 Kirov of Kaluga province) of Zhizdrinskiy district of Kaluga province by Sergey Ivanovich
Maltsov. In 1877 The Maltsov's Industrial Commercial Comradeship was founded,
which managed the factory; in 1886 the government administration was formed, in
1889 competitive control was organized, and in 1892 the joint-stock company of
the Maltsov's factorys was founded. Since 1889 the factory was leased by the
comradeship of M.S. Kuznetsov, into property of which it was passed in 1911. In
1918 it was nationalized. In 1936 the factory was renamed as the Kirovskiy
Founded 1809. Real name is " The
Porcelain Factory named after Kalinin".
Mikhail Kalinin was the chairman of the All-Union Executive Committee ie. A
titular head of state from 1919.
Konakovskiy Porcelain Factory named
after M.I. Kirov (Konakova, Konakovo).
Earlier name for Leningrad No 2.
Originally Kornilov Bros Porcelain. Founded in 1835. Won a gold medal at the Moscow ceramic exhibition in 1839. Kornilov Bros became the purveyor to the Imperial Court in 1843. In 1886 Kornilov Bros started the export of
porcelain abroad with shops in Paris, while in
the USA and Canada the porcelain was distributed by Tiffanys.
Founded 1903. Real name is "
Korosten Porcelain Factory named after Dzerzhinsky"
Near shores of the Black Sea
Krasnodar is a populat tourist destination near the shores of The
Chudovo district of Novgorod region
Gruzino Porcelain and Faience Factory
The factory was found in 1900 in
Chudovo near the village of Gruzino of Novgorod district of Novgorod province
by I.E. Kuznetsov (now it is the settlement of Krasnofarfornyy of Chudovo
district of Novgorod region). In 1918 it was nationalized. Production was
renewed in the beginning of the 1920s. During July of 1942 the factory was
evacuated into Saraktash (Orenburzhye); after World War II the work was
recommenced. At present it is reorganized into the closed joint-stock company.
There were over 60 Kuznetsov
factories each with their own mark, which usually features the name of the
Leningrad Ceramics Factory
Operating between 1919 and 1941
Leningrad No 2
LZFI - SPFZ
Leningradskiy Experimental Factory
(LOZ, LZFI, Leningrad Factory No.2 ).
It was founded in the 1920s attached
to the All-Russian Research Institute of Porcelain and Faience. Technical
articles were produced there and then production of porcelain and faience
plates, dishes and sculpture began. Initially it was called Leningradskiy
Factory of Porcelain Articles, and then Leningradskiy Experimental factory. It
was closed in the 1990s.
The Kornyloff factory, started in
1835 by two brothers of a merchant family in Petersburg, engaged skilled artists and crafts men from the Imperial, Gardner, and Popov factories. It quickly acquired a reputation for artistic
excellence, and as early as 1839 won a gold medal at the Moscow ceramic exhibition. The owners spared no expense and trouble to bring
their products to perfection, and for this purpose commissioned original
drawings from leading artists of the day. The gorgeous colouring, rich gilding,
and decorative finesse of Kornyloff products soon became well known, and they
were sought after by collectors. In the last decades of the nineteenth century
this factory started mass production of cheap porcelain wares for export. After
the October Revolution of 1917 the factory was nationalized and renamed LZFI.
in two parts.
Has operated as an experimental
factory and was associated with Lomonosov.
Restarted as Saint-Petersburg
Porcelian Factory (SPFZ)
IFZ - Imperial Porcelain Factory (pre-1917)
GFZ - State Porcelain Factory (1917 -
LFZ - Leningradskiy Porcelain Factory
named after M.V. Lomonosov (1925 - 1993) = Leningrad Lomonosov Porcelain
LFZ - Leninski Farfornoi Zavod =
Lomonosov Porcelain Factory (1993 - 2005)
Imperatorskii Farforovyi Zavod (from 29 May 2005 - ) = Imperial Porcelain Factory.
It was founded in 1744 in Saint Petersburg and up to 1917 it was called the Emperor's Porcelain
factory. In 1918 it was nationalized and renamed into the State Porcelain
factory, in 1924 Leningradskiy Porcelain factory, and since 1925 Leningradskiy
Porcelain Factory named after M.V. Lomonosov. In 1931 the country's first
artistic laboratory was organized at the factory. The factory did not work
during the years of World War II; it was partially evacuated to the Urals to
the city of Irbit. In 1993 it was reorganized and renamed as AOZT
"Lomonosovskiy Porcelain factory".
For a while the partnership between
masters from the Academy of Arts and the factory flourished, but after 1820 the links were abruptly
severed. In the early 19th century, the Imperial Porcelain Factory was again
built up and began to make more complex porcelain pieces. In the early 20th
century, the factory was given over to the war effort. After the Communist
revolution, propaganda porcelain was given special priority and status.
Until 1917, most of the porcelain
products were manufactured to meet the needs of the Tsar's Court. The factory
manufactured mainly service set and adornments for the Tsar's palaces; only a
small amount of the artistic porcelain was sold to the people, and it was very
expensive and accessible only to the rich. Since 1920, the factory has
participated in international exhibitions in London, Berlin, Paris and Helsinki, where it
received high accolades. At the World Exhibition in Paris in 1937 the factory was awarded, its highest honour, the gold medal.
About 100 years after its foundation,
the factory, which until then had belonged to the ruling house of Romanov, was
proclaimed the Imperial Porcelain Factory (IFZ-Imperatorskii Farforovyi Zavod).
After the October Revolution of 1917 it was nationalised and renamed the State
Porcelain Works (GFZ Gos-sudarstvennyi FZ). In 1925, however, on the occasion
of the 200th jubilee of the Russian Academy of Science, it was given the name
of the academy's founder, Mikhail Vasilevich Lomonosov (1711-65), a man
well-versed in arts and science, and until recently it was called the Leningrad
Lomonosov Porcelain Works (LFZ-Leningradski FZ imeni M.V. Lomonosova). Since
1993 it has been reorganized as the "Lomonosov Porcelain Factory", a
private joint-stock company.
Russian porcelain owes its existence
to notable Russian and foreign sculptors, painters, architects, scholars and
artisans. During the Soviet era leading masters of fine and applied arts,
ex-technologists, workers and engineers continued the tradition. The best of
Russian decorative porcelain from the Lomonosov factory today takes pride of
place in the rich Petersburg collect, both in the Hermitage and the Russian
Museum, as well as the Palace Museums of Pavlovsk, Petrodvorets and Tsarskoe
Selo, the State Historical Museum in Moscow and the Ceramics Museof Kuskovo,
and thus are part of the rich fund of Russian and international art. There are
many important foreign collectors who own such pieces. The Museum of the
Petersburg Porcelain factory, established in 1844, contains some 20,000
Today the factory produces souvenirs
and gifts, such as, tea and coffee sets. The items range from the animalistic
genre and thematic sculpture, flowers and decorative vases of various sizes,
porcelain decanters and pitchers. The
products of the factory have been in continued demand at international
exhibitions and fairs since their creation. Two hundred fifty years have passed
- 250 years of unique, remarkable, difficult and highly interesting history for
the first Russian porcelain factory.
The Imperial Porcelain Factory (or
Manufactory) (Imperatorskii Farforovyi Zavod), is a producer of fine,
handpainted ceramic products in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
Many still refer to the factory by
its well-known former name, Lomonosov Porcelain Factory.
Founded in 1744, the porcelain
factory was created by the order of Empress Elizabeth to "serve native
trade and native art." The factory produced wares exclusively for the
ruling Romanov family and the Russian Imperial Court.
About one hundred years after its
founding, the factory gained the name "Imperial Porcelain Factory"
(IFZ - Imperatorskii Farforovyi Zavod). It then began to produce and market
porcelain for sale to wider markets.
After the Revolution
With the abolition of the Russian
monarchy in 1917, the Imperial Porcelain Factory was renamed "State
Porcelain Factory" (GFZ - Gossudarstvennyi Farforovyi Zavod) by the
Bolshevik regime. During the early years of the Soviet Union, the GFZ produced so-called propaganda wares, ranging from plates to
figurines of the Soviet elite.
In 1925, on the occasion of the 200th
jubilee of the RussianAcademy of Science, it was given the name of the academy's founder, Mikhail
Lomonosov. It became known as the Leningrad Lomonosov Porcelain Factory (LFZ -
Leningradski Farforovyi Zavod imeni M.V. Lomonosova). The newly-christened
Lomonosov factory produced a range of wares, including collectible animal
figurines and dinner sets.
Its best-known pattern, cobalt net,
first appeared in 1949, based on a set made for Catherine the Great. The
handpainted pattern is a combination of intersecting lines of cobalt blue with
inverted tear drops of cobalt blue (made from mineral cobalt) and 22 karat gold
After the Soviet Era
LFZ became privatized in 1993 as the
"Lomonosov Porcelain Factory." At that time, wide exports began to
countries unfamiliar with Lomonosov wares, particularly the United States and Japan. In 1999, an American investing firm was formed to buy a controlling
interest in LFZ. This prompted a long legal battle in Russia, made headlines in international business journals, and
ultimately resulted in a legal victory for the American investors. According to
some, the American investing firm's primary goal in the venture was to obtain
the factory's priceless museum collection. The HermitageMuseum took over the collection, however, and the American firm
lost interest in the company, with ownership eventually passing to a Russian
Oil Company, Nikoil.
Return to Old Name
On 29 May 2005, the stockholders of Lomonosov Porcelain Factory passed a
resolution to return to their pre-Soviet name, the Imperial Porcelain Factory.
Situated in the city of the same
name, Lvov is the largest city in the Western Ukraine
Identical to Proletary
Oktyabriski Ceramic Tile, Porcelain
and China Items factory was founded in 1960. It is between the VolgaRiver and the Ural
Mountains. Bashkortostan was
called Bashkiria up to 1990.
Orlova Porcelain Factory 20th century
Pesochnoye, Yaroslav region
The village of the same name is near
the town of Kaluga (Moscow region).
The name means The First of May Factory (Pervo means first, Mai means May)
Pervomayskiy Porcelain Factory.
The factory was founded in 1884 in
the village of Pesochnoe of Romanovo-Borisoglebskiy district of Yaroslavl province by
the merchant P.A. Nikitin. In 1886 it was sold to the commercial house of V.
Karyakin and V. Rakhmaninov, and in 1894 it became the property of the
comradeship of M.S. Kuznetsov. In 1918 it was nationalized. In 1936 the
artistic laboratory was created at the factory. In 2001 the factory was
reorganized into ZAO "Pervomaiskiy Farfor".
The Polonne city is situated on the KhomoraRiver in the Khmelnitsky region of the Western Ukraine. It is the administrative centre pf the Polonski district
woth a population of around 23,000 people. It has been known as a settlement
since 996. The factory was a major industry in the area and was founded in
1895. It seems that the factory closed down some time before 2008.
Gorbunov near Moscow
Alexander Popov's factory in
Gorbunovo - a village in the vicinity of Moscow - produced figures similar to those made by The Gardner's factory
One of the most important factories,
stimulated by the protective tariff of 1806, was started in that year in the village of Gorbunov near Moscowm by a certain Karl Milli. It was taken over in
1811 by a Moscow merchant A. Popov, who gave his name to the factory, which,
together with his son, Dmitri, he personally built up and directed until he
died in 1850s. A decade later it was sold by the Popov family, and passed
rapidly from one new owner to another. In the 1870s it belonged to an Armenian,
and finally to a Russian merchant who liquidated the whole enterprise.
A workmans co-operative association
(the "Hangmans" mark)
Bronnitsky, Moscow Region
Identical to Novgorod
Proletarian Porcelain Factory
(Bronnitskiy Porcelain Factory).
The factory was founded in 1884 in
the village of Novaya
Melnitsa, near the village of Bronnitsy, of Krestetskiy district of Novgorod province (now the
settlement of Proletariy of Novgorod disrict of Novgorod region) by Peter Kazimirovich Reykhel. In 1889 the factory was closed,
and in 1892 it was acquired by M.S. Kuznetsov. It began to work again in 1893.
On the 19th of October, 1918 it was nationalized. From November of 1921 it was a part of the
association of Novgubfarfor, and since 1927 of the Tsentrofarfortrest. In 1922
it was renamed into the Proletarian Factory; it was called Bronitskiy before).
During the years of World War II it was evacuated to Krasnoyarsk, where it continued to work. In March of 1944 it was restored at the
previous place. In 1962 reconstruction of production was made.
Identical to Proletary
Bronnitsky near Proletary in the Novgorod region
Founded in 1966 in the town of Bronnitsky near Proletary in the Novgorod region
Riga Porcelain Factory.
Production unites two factorys. The first one was founded in 1841 (1843) in Dreylingsbush (Dreylini) near Riga by S.T. Kuznetsov. In 1864 it was handed down to M.S. Kuznetsov, and then to N.M. Kuznetsov. During the period between 1915 and 1920 it did not work in connection with the war. It was opened in 1920. In 1940 it is nationalized and renamed as the Riga Ceramic Factory. It did not work during the years of World War II. Production was restarted in 1946 and renamed into the Riga Porcelain and Faience factory. The second factory was founded in 1886 in Milgrabene by Y.K. Essen. Since 1921 it became the branch of N.M. Kuznetsov's factory. In 1940 it was nationalized. In 1963 two productions were united, and in 1968 it was called Riga Porcelain factory, now Latelektrokeramika.
Founded before 1830
Founded in 1979
The Slavenski Ceramics Industrial Complex (Slavenski Keramicheski
Founded in 1991
Sysert in the Urals
Porcelain from this factory is very
rare - situated in West Ukraine
Verbilky, Tadon region
Verbilky (former Gardner) Porcelain
Factory in Verbilky. Gardner Porcelain Works was founded in Verbilki, outside Moscow, by the English-born Francis Gardner in 1766. The Gardner family retained ownership of the factory until 1891 and produced
porcelain tablewares, figurines, and faience. The Gardner's porcelain works were one of the significant ones in Russia and yielded only to imperial ones, that were established in
the 18th century by Vinogradov.
DFZ mark - stands for Dmitrov
Porcelain factory, the region the factory used to belong to - now Tadon region
Dmitrovskiy Porcelain Factory.
The factory was founded in 1766 in
Verbilki village of Dmitrovskiy district of Moscow province by English merchant F.Y.
Gardner. In 1892 it was sold to M.S. Kuznetsov. It was nationalized in April of
1918 and at the same time renamed into the Dmitrovskiy Factory. In the
beginning of the 1920s restoration began and up to 1924 it was managed by the
board. In the 1930s the production was extended. In 1934 (1938) the artistic
laboratory was created attached to the factory. In the years of World War II
the factory produced porcelain insulators and dishes for hospitals. At present
it is reorganized into ZAO "Farfor Verbilok"
Founded 1948.The factory was situated
in Yerevan-the Armenian capital (called Armfarfor by Mark)